Still I Conform




It begins with a gentle humming, a gentle humming moving to a hypnotic hissing, a hypnotic hissing merges into a subtle clunking & knocking, then for the finale...

A crescendo of banging & crashing steel followed by the entrance of a magnificent white vessel! But this is no ordinary ship, oh no sir. For this great ship plays host to the hopes & dreams, ambitions & aspirations of "success", the ever unreachable, illusionary destination of life.

"Please mind the Gap"

There could be anything up to 1000 crew onboard this mighty, aging, metal galleon. 1000 skivvies on route to their final destination; next stop “success”. I will board this ship. Same time, same place. Same weathered crack in the pavement will I stand, every morning, of every day.

I know I know better! I know I can see through the veil of social & cultural conditioning, mindless routine & worthless stress…

But still I will follow.
Still I will conform.

As I board this confined, cheaply furnished ship, I observe, scan my perimeters of personal space and assess my counterparts. Silence, under no condition may you speak. Rustling, knocking, clicking, shuffling. Occupy your mind! Keep your mind active! Do anything but sit in peace to the soundtrack of your own silence. Do anything but enjoy the vast richness of the present moment. My mind endures a thousand thoughts, relationships, work, friends, commitments, past mistakes, future goals…

I know I know better, I know I should be living in the moment, I know I should see the hindrance of incursive thought…

But still I follow.
Still I conform.

The path has me in its grips. Dreams set on the future and memories fixed in the past. The great illusion of success that haunts the minds of the western world looms over me. The paved path of a civilized man from schooling to a career & family is steering me towards its unreachable final goal. I’m losing myself.

I know I know better, I know it’s all a farce, I know living in this present moment is the only way to experience the fullness and true essence of life, It’s all one big illusion, one big joke. I can escape!

But still I follow.
Still I conform.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    But still I follow
    still I conform

    That's certainly the silent refrain of most lives, including those of most "rebels" who buy and sell rebellious product to keep the rebellious product market afloat....

    And if I sound self-righteous, believe me, I'm stuck in the muck as deeply as anyone. Not that I don't believe conditioning can't be resisted...but it doesn't happen easily.

    Cool post. Love the subway imagery....

  2. Gareth said...

    Too True Mr Cynic.
    Thanks for your comments ;-)



Copyright 2009| The Dharma Bum.